s

CHURCH OF ST. JAMES, LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA

CHURCH OF ST. JAMES, LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA
CHURCH OF ST. JAMES, LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA
Gornji trg 18
1000 Ljubljana
T: +386 (0)1 252 17 27


CHURCH OF ST. JAMES, LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA; The Church of St. James was built by Jesuits between 1613 and 1615 on a site previously occupied by a Gothic church standing next to the Jesuit monastery which housed Ljubljana's first college of theology, philosophy, medicine and music.

 

The Jesuits' early-Baroque hall church was thoroughly rebuilt around 1701. Its new altar and statues were sculpted between 1728 and 1732 by Francesco Robba, who lived in the vicinity of the church. After the earthquake of 1895 the church's two belfries had to be pulled down and a single new belfry (the highest in Ljubljana) was built in their place.

 

Services in english language are held every Sunday at 11:30 a.m. except every third Sunday when they are held in spanish language.

 


To write reviews please login.