s

ST. JOSEPH, CHURCH, LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA

ST. JOSEPH CHURCH, LJUBLJANA: Following the earthquake of 1895, the religious folk of Ljubljana vowed to get together every Easter to pray that such a terrible thing would never happen again. From 1914 these liturgies were celebrated inside this large and extraordinary-looking church, which was completed in the same year.

 

Built by the Jesuits, the building was confiscated by the communists in 1949 and subsequently handed over to the state film industry who, in a nutshell, wrecked the place. Now back in the hands of the Church, renovation work is ongoing. The half-coffered, half-domed ceiling and everything underneath is now intact, but much work and filling-up remains. Several interesting Yugoslav-era photographs of the building can be found inside the porch.

 

To write reviews please login.